Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Reflection Paragraph

I have learned a lot about sickle cell disease during my research. The most important fact I've learned is that you can die from sickle cell disease. Sickle cells are fragile. They break apart easily and die, leaving you chronically short on red blood cells. Red blood cells usually live for about 120 days before they die and need to be replaced. However, sickle cells die after only 10 to 20 days. The result is a chronic shortage of red blood cells, known as anemia. Without enough red blood cells in circulation, your body can't get the oxygen it needs to feel energized. That's why anemia causes fatigue.I thought that was most surprising to me, but i still have many questions that need answering like how long do people with full sickle cell disease live? Is there a cure ? When was sickle cell discovered? Ugh and so much more. I feel good about this topic its interesting and good to know more about something i have a trait of.

2 comments:

  1. How can you relate to your topic in everyday life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know someone that has that disease?

    ReplyDelete